Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Some Awesome Nonfiction for Kids

I just wanted to quickly share with you some amazing (in my opinion) nonfiction books for kids. 

Sylvan Dell Publishing has put out a number of books that deal with science, math, and geography in fun ways for kids. The paintings in the books are big and bright, and subjects that could be made dry and difficult for kids to grasp (like 'habitat') are made fun and interesting.

One of my favorites is called Habitat Spy by Cynthia Keber-King and Christina Wald. This book is set up like an I Spy book, where the reader is asked to search for certain items. Each page spread features a different habitat: a backyard, a meadow, a pond, and so forth. The pictures are drawn to accurately represent plants and animals. I appreciate that kids aren't only asked to look for big ticket items, like deer and fox. They're also asked to look for algae and lichen. I love it! You can find this particular book here.


Another of my favorites is Deep in the Desert. This book puts different aspects of desert ecology to the rhythms of traditional children's songs. My coworker and I sat in our office one day and sang through the book. The songs don't sound awkward in more than a couple of places. Such a fun way to learn about the desert! You can find Deep in the Desert here.

No comments:

Post a Comment