Friday, June 15, 2012

This is the House that George Built

This is the House that George Built
By Suzanne Slade
Illustrated by Rebecca Bond

When I picked up The House that George Built, I thought to myself, "Hmm. That almost sounds like the poem "This is the House that Jack Built." I realized when I started reading that the connotation was intentional!

In this clever little book that plays off of the old poem, "This is the House that Jack Built," readers get an inside look at the construction of the White House: how the design was decided upon, the materials that were used, and how the structure of the building went up. I was amazed at how... difficult construction of a building of that size sounded! I must really take for granted all the machinery we have to work with that George Washington and the people helping him did not have! 

Although I thought the rhymes in this story often come across as awkward, I still thought the poem was a fun idea. Readers can choose to read just the simple poem or a more detailed description of the construction project. I also loved the detailed watercolor pictures.

The House that George Built is a great little book from Charlesbridge Publishing that deals skillfully with a little-known part of American history!



No comments:

Post a Comment