Saturday, May 5, 2012

Monkey's Friends


Monkey’s Friends
Written and Illustrated by Ruth Brown

Monkey is going for a walk. As he walks, he greets his friends who are somewhat hidden. The reader has a chance to guess, from the picture and from a rhyming word, which animal friend Monkey is going to meet up with next.

This is a beautifully illustrated and charming story. The monkey’s facial expressions are adorable! Though it’s simple, children will enjoy being able to guess which animal is coming up next in the story. I also enjoy how this book gives kids a chance to practice rhyming words.  

One complaint I have for this story is that the animals Monkey meets are highly unlikely to all be in the same habitat together (I mean, highly unlikely).  Monkey meets up with a kangaroo, then an elephant, a crocodile, a snake, a chameleon, and finally a bear. Many other books put a strange array of animals together, and sometimes this doesn’t bother me. I think the reason it bothered me in this book was because the illustrations were so accurate and lifelike. I just assumed that the ecosystem presented would be accurate as well!

All things considered, though, I would still recommend this book, though not highly. Between the illustrations, the fun rhymes and guessing game, this is still a fun choice for kids!



No comments:

Post a Comment