Saturday, March 24, 2012

Bunnicula


Bunnicula
Deborah and James Howe

I read this book for the first time when I was in, oh, 2nd grade, maybe. At the time I found it a little creepy and a little confusing. I never read the rest of the series.

Our library recently purchased an updated copy of the book, however, which sparked my interest. I checked it out, and read it in a matter of an hour, laughing, giggling, and chortling by turn. I am not the only person who loves Bunnicula, though, because the book went on to win more than ten Children’s Choice Awards.

I realized while reading it why I had been confused as a second grader. Although the book is short, the phrasing and word choices of the author are a little beyond your typical Magic Tree House and Geronimo Stilton series geared toward readers ages 9-12.

Bunnicula was written by James Howe and his wife Deborah. However, shortly after the book was published, Deborah died of cancer.  James Howe, on his own, went on to write a whole series based on the little vampire bunny who dines on vegetable juice.

I enjoyed the dry humor (and fantastic illustrations) in Bunnicula and I look forward to reading the rest of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment