Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"Far From Here" by Nicole Baart

“I mean, we loved each other, we really did, but nobody told me that years would go by and in the end we wouldn’t be the same people as we were when we began.”

It is only appropriate that the first review to display itself bravely on the empty blog wall be on a book by a favorite author. Far From Here, recently published, tells the story of Danica Greene and her marriage to a pilot. After ten years of marriage, Etsell takes an assignment flying to Alaska, from which he and his plane disappear. Danica searches and then waits, but ultimately she must decide how long to hold onto hope for her missing husband, and after he is gone, she must come to terms with the reality of the relationship she has lost.

Nicole Baart’s lyrical prose at times is beautiful enough to make my breath catch in my throat, and yet, it does not choke out the story with unnecessary detail. Through this story I was made to imagine what it would be like to reach that point from which you feel that you cannot go on, and yet, you find the strength to move forward, one painful step at a time. A beautiful, searing story that will whisper in your ear long after you put the book down.


1 comment:

  1. Thought I'd start from the beginning and read, "After the Leaves Fall" first. Now you've got me hooked!

    ReplyDelete